I hope you all had a great week. Summer is officially gone here in Guadalajara; this week has been kind of cold and it's rained a couple of days. It wasn't a bunch of rain, but it was more than I'm used to back home in sunny Southern California.
We had a zone training on Thursday in Torrejon de Ardoz which was really good. One of the things they talked about was visiting more of the villages in our areas, outside of the main cities. In the Bible it says that the gospel will be preached unto everyone, and a lot of times as missionaries it's easier to just stay in the same parts of whatever city we're assigned to but they want us to make an effort to go to parts of our area that we usually don't visit. So, in these next coming weeks we'll be visiting more pueblos to find people, which I'm excited for. I'll get to see a lot of new places.
Last Friday, my companion Elder Molina had a meeting with the other missionaries who are going home soon and the Mission President in Madrid, so I spent the afternoon with the Elders there. It was fun because one of them was Elder Stulen, who was in the MTC with me and we were pretty close so I enjoyed being able to see him.
This week, as far as teaching, we started meeting with this old-ish couple. The first time we visited them, the woman, Maritza, from the Dominican Republic, let us in because she likes talking about the gospel and she's very religious, and her husband Rafael was there just listening but he sounded interested. The part I didn't like was that when we first walked in, Rafael was rolling a cigarette and he started smoking it so when Elder Molina and I left we smelled really bad of cigarette smoke and it was gross. Anyway, we shared a bit about the Book of Mormon and left them with a copy to read. We returned last Saturday and when we were talking to them then, Maritza told us about a couple things in her past that had led to depression and she started crying right there and I had no idea what to do but my companion, the master that he is, started talking to her and explaining how the gospel can help her and we shared a few scriptures, and at the end of the lesson they asked when we would come back. Right now it's a little rough teaching them, but I can see the possibility of how they can get their lives back in order through the gospel and thinking about it makes me think about how important the gospel is for us here on the Earth, and how by turning to Jesus Christ we can endure through the trials in our lives. Also, on the same topic, we have a lesson later this week with a man whose cousin just died and he told us that right now he really needs something to hold on to.
This week we've taught Rosa Maria twice. We taught her about the word of wisdom and she generally accepted it, she just needs to pray about it to find out if it's true. She has a little trouble believing that the part about not drinking coffee, because she doesn't see how it's a problem in her life, but she said that it could be true and she's considering it. Then last night we watched a church movie, The Testaments, with her at the Bishop's house. The movie is about the people in the Book of Mormon at the time that Jesus Christ came, and how there had been prophecies of Jesus Christ. Then the Bishop led a short little spiritual discussion between all of us, and it was really good because Rosa Maria was able to learn more about the Book of Mormon and the Spirit was super strong there. We are really hopeful for her. Anyway I hope you all have a great week and I'll talk to you all again next Wednesday, because we're going to the temple next week.
Love,
Elder Corey Dobbs
![]() |
| Us with the Hermanas and Rosa Maria right after the night at the Bishop's house |


No comments:
Post a Comment